Monday 27 January 2014

The University Arms


The University of Sheffield

With the agencies that I currently use, I never know who I will be teaching until the very last moment and, provided only with contact details, my new assignment started with a phone call and an exchange of e-mails to arrange the time and venue for meeting Irene from Almería. Irene had started her 6 month Research Scholarship in Genetics at Sheffield University, on secondment from the University of Granada, so we met in the University Arms.

Irene at the Millennium Gallery
Not knowing the pub, I sat at a table in full view and when Irene walked in, the mutual smiles - which follow from instant recognition - broke the ice. I couldn’t have asked for a better first meeting and this set the tone for the rest of our lessons.

My brief was to help Irene to settle in at work, especially talking to colleagues who were also not native English speakers, and I had 60 hours over a period of 5 weeks - including weekends - to complete my task. 

Irene likes to learn in a visual and kinaesthetic way and, in our lessons, we made full use of original photographs, maps and the Metro to discuss travel, landscapes, architecture, art, food and drink, plants, people and animals. 

We started by comparing our introductory e-mails and then carried on discussing very many aspects of the English and Spanish languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment